[General] PEtALS user experience

fgardes petals-features at ebmwebsourcing.com
Wed Mar 16 10:19:41 CET 2011

Hi!
1-Normally, you've to use the shell ping.sh, which isn't operational on quickstart 2.2. Youv've to had '!' into two test. The correct ping.sh (adds are on red):

> #!/bin/sh
>
> RepScript=`dirname $0`
> RepCourant=`pwd`
>

> ######################
> #   ENV VARIABLES
> ######################
>
> echo "Setting Petals environment"
>
> if [ ! -d "$JAVA_HOME" ]
> then
>         echo "The JAVA_HOME variable is not properly set. Please set it in your environment."
>         exit 1
> fi
>
> if [ ! -d "$PETALS_HOME" ]
> then
> 	PETALS_HOME="$RepCourant/$RepScript/.."
> 	export PETALS_HOME
> fi
>
> if [ ! -f "$PETALS_HOME/conf/server.properties" ]
> then
> 	echo "The PETALS_HOME environment variable is not set correctly. Please set it in your environment with a correct value."
> 	exit 2
> fi
>
> PATH="$JAVA_HOME/bin:$PATH"
> export PATH
>
> java -version
> echo ""
>

> ######################
> #   ARGUMENTS
> ######################
>
> cd "$PETALS_HOME/bin"
>
> Silence=false
> while getopts :hv:Sv options
> do
>         case ${options} in
>                 h)
>                         echo "The ping.sh script is used to determine if Petals is started."
>                         echo "usage : ping [-h] [-S]"
>                         echo "     -h : prints the help message"
>                         echo "     -S : active the silent mode"
>                         exit 0;
>                         ;;
>                 S)
>                         Silence=true
>                         ;;
>                 ?)
>                         echo "usage : ping [-h] [-S]"
>                         exit 2
>                         ;;
>         esac
> done
>
> pingResult=`java -Xmx128m -jar server.jar version`
>
> echo $pingResult | grep "Petals JBI Container - version:" >/dev/null 2>/dev/null
> active=$?
>
> cd "$RepCourant"
>
> if [ $active -eq 0 ]
> then
>         if [ $Silence != true ]
>         then
>                 echo "Petals RUNNING"
>         fi
>         exit 0
> else
>         if [ $Silence != true ]
>         then
>                 echo "Petals STOPPED"
>         fi
>         exit 1
> fi

2-that's right : to get the version, today we need the PEtALS JMX Server on:

Code:
/*
     * (non-Javadoc)
     *
     * @see org.ow2.petals.launcher.PetalsLauncher#version()
     */
    public void version() throws Exception {
        System.out.println(getPetalsJmxClient().getAdminServiceClient().getSystemInfo());
    }

So you can't get the version without starting the JMX  :(

Read this forum topic online here:
http://petals.ebmwebsourcing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=207#207