[Users] Component Attributes/Parameters

rnaudin petals-components at ebmwebsourcing.com
Wed Mar 16 10:27:14 CET 2011

The management of JBI descriptors in PETALS is processed at 3 layers, Waou! [Shocked]

The fist layer is at the container level, the container needs information contained in the 'original' JBI schema.
This original JBI schema can be found in the jar 'petals-jbi.descriptor.jar' in the 'lib' repository of your PEtALS container.
This schema define ANY sections, to allow dedicated configuration for implementor of JBI.

We have redefine in PEtALS project these ANY sections in two others layer: the CDK layer and the component specific layer.

The CDK is the common library proposed by PEtALS to create JBI components. It contains generic stuffs common to most of the JBI components.
These generic stuffs need configuration, this configuration is defined by a dedicated schema, and 'merged' in the original JBI schema by redefining it.
Check the schemas contained in the jar 'petals-cdk-jbidescriptor' of one of your PEtALS component.The schema 'CDKextensions.xsd' define all the elements needed by the CDK in a CDK related namespace. the schema 'CDKjbi.xsd' redefine the namespace of JBI, 'http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/jbi', to include the CDK structured elements.
With these redefined schema, we can extract the configuration toward Java binding classes, using JAXB technology

Finally, the same mechanism has been attempt at the component level. Check the component's jar, eg, the petals-soap component, There is 2 schemas; 'SOAPextensions.xsd', where the elements for the SOAP component are defined and 'SOAPjbi.xsd' which redefines the JBI namespace another time to include the component structures elements.
Unfortunally, we haven't be able to exploit these 3rd layer in the components code via JAXB, as we were facing a bug on Xerces about redefine in schemas.
For the moment, the component's doesn't use the JAXB binding java classes to handle their configuration but a list of extensions elements, which is a map, called 'ConfigurationExtensions'.

Another subject is the versionning of component's AND CDK, and compatiblity of configurations when upgrading a component in production, this is another story... There is a thread about that discussion on the forum, if you want more detail about that. [Wink]

/Roland

Read this forum topic online here:
http://petals.ebmwebsourcing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=455#455