[Users] PEtALS BC XQuare - How to cope with deadlocks ?

sandre petals-components at ebmwebsourcing.com
Wed Mar 16 10:27:38 CET 2011

According to MySQL documentation, "Deadlocks are a classic problem in transactional databases, but they are not dangerous unless they are so frequent that you cannot run certain transactions at all. Normally, you must write your applications so that they are always prepared to re-issue a transaction if it gets rolled back because of a deadlock. "

I have seen some deadlocks occur in my apps logs, they appear as SEVERE messages with a stack trace. Unfortunately I can't find anything about deadlocks management in the BC Xquare documentation (petals-bc-xquare-2.0.pdf.

I think the deadlock should be handled at the component level in PEtALS in order to hide the implementation from the client, but am I right?

On one hand, I'd like to see SQL statements completely disappear in future releases of XQuare, it would not be coupled with the DB engine any more. On another hand, the only way I can see now to handle deadlocks safely is to send an SQL transaction to the DB engine through the Xquare component.

What is the best tradeoff?

Is it possible to configure Xquare to handle deadlocks?

Read this forum topic online here:
http://petals.ebmwebsourcing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=517#517