[Users] Deploy components from classes and not from zip ?

vzurczak petals-components at ebmwebsourcing.com
Wed Mar 16 10:28:45 CET 2011

cdeneux wrote:
> I totally agree with you.
>
> PEtALS should be able to work in a development mode where deployment is done from an exploded JBI archive (directroy structure as webapp). In this mode, PEtALS kernel must be able to reload classes recently modified.
>
> I had proposed this feature 3 years ago, but I was alone. Thanks to join me on this purpose.

OK. I've been working on a new PEtALS server view and I completely agree with this request...
Right now, if we had a component project or an SU project in Eclipse, and that we wanted to deploy it in PEtALS through the Eclipse server view, we would do the following:
	Package th project in a zip.

	Deploy the zip into PEtALS through JMX.

Doing this would result in duplicating the project and the classes. Workspace (editors) and server (PEtALS).
Since source and class files will be first in the workspace, and assuming PEtALS was started from Eclipse, we would be able to debug the running code (the component's one or the SU's one if it's a Java SU - e.g. for the POJO component). But by debugging, I only mean we could follow the execution and the state of the variables through source navigation. If we notice an error in the code and correct it, the source code is indeed modified, and the class is recompiled. But this class is in the workspace, not on the server. Meaning our modifications are not taken into account. We have to republish the project.

Publish means "synchronize" the project with the deployed application.
To do that, we would have to undeploy the component / SA (and so, everything which is related, like SAs if we undeploy a component). And then we would redeploy the last version of the project.

We can do that in a first time, but it's not very convenient (even if better than nothing).
As Christophe said, it would be convenient if PEtALS accepted exploded projects and in other locations.

As an example, have...
	PEtALS is located in "C://PEtALS".

	And I'm deploying a component in
exploded mode (versus archived mode) which is located at "D://workspace/myComponent".

The risk however, would be that the JVM can crash.
Indeed, modifications of the running classes sometime requires the application to be stopped or restarted.

I have no idea the way it could be done into PEtALS. But I think it would be nice for an advanced deployment feature into Eclipse.
(I described the basic one above - package, then deploy).

Read this forum topic online here:
http://petals.ebmwebsourcing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=657#657