[Users] bc-soap 4.1 and the list of HTTPS services

Christophe DENEUX [via Petals Forums] ml-node+s974793n4022397h81 at n3.nabble.com
Wed May 30 15:34:47 CEST 2012

IMO, services exposed through SSL should be displayed through the URL
https://server:8083/petals/services, because:
    - SSL is not an authentication protocol (even if the mode "2-way"
can be viewed as an authentication protocol), it is more an encryption
protocol,
    - if you set SSL one-way, you accept that all clients can invoke
your service, why do you want protect WSDL access ?
    - if you use SSL 2-way, the service list should be available to the
clients that are known from the server (client encryption key set on the
server side)

So, I don't see the security issue about WSDL. It seems to me that is
normal that a web-service client can get its WSDL.

--
Christophe DENEUX
CTO

On 30/05/2012 11:55, Vincent Zurczak [via Petals Forums] wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     Christophe Hamerling wrote
>     If this feature is not available it must be added for a future
>     release since many users are listing services from the SOAP BC page.
>
> I agree for web services over HTTP.
> But for HTTPS, I disagree. Security does not only go through SSL, but
> also by protecting the URL and the service contract. Displaying the
> location and the WSDL may be considered as a security issue. The
> service URL is available in the Petals console and is predictable for
> the person/team that set up this service.
> « Petals M.D. »

> NAML
> <http://forum.petalslink.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

-----
Christophe DENEUX
PetalsLink
CTO