[Users] Which console should we use ?

rnaudin petals-use at ebmwebsourcing.com
Wed Mar 16 10:27:23 CET 2011

OK,
Are looking for troubles? [Shocked]
Sorry, bad joke;
The Web console is our first release of a graphic GUI to help a PEtALS user to administrate AND monitoring PEtALS.
The Web console embeds a data-collector in order to support monitoring of PEtALS message traffics. This data collector is connected to PEtALS node via JMX to get the relevant information.
The data collector relies on a database to store the received information from PEtALS.
So when you mention that you logon 2 times, it's in fact that you configure first your data collector to receive data from PEtALS nodes, and then you logon to be able to exploit these data and administration a PEtALS domain.
The current architecture of the WebConsole and its embedded datacollector has its limitation, specially in robustness. We are working on a better architecture, based on monitoring agents plugged direcly in the PEtALS domain, to collect the relevant data. The Web console would connect itself to these agents, and the current data collector would disappear.

Attempts has been done to extend it with others features, like support of a JUDDI repository...

Finally, it has been identified that a strong demand on governance of service exist, so an independent product has born; DRAGON.
DRAGON is supported too by EBM Websourcing.
DRAGON is governing services and propose a connector to handle the services exposed in your PEtALS domain.

Jasmine is another attempt of cooperation with an OW2 product. For what i know, it is a tool to handle deployment of distributed software, like J2EE containers and why not JBI containers.
The support of PEtALS is Jasmine was targeting the deployment of PEtALS nodes and PEtALS JBi artifacts, and in a second time the monitoring of PEtALS.
I don't know what is currently working on that work. Maybe you can try and give us a feed back?

So finally, to resume, you can focus first at the WebConsole. Maybe Jasmine is a good alternative, i don't know much about it. Then, once you have build your tons of services in PEtALS, you would ask yourself, how do i manage them? how can i represent then i an universel repository in my company? and naturally, you will use DRAGON 8)

/Roland

Read this forum topic online here:
http://petals.ebmwebsourcing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=457#457