[Users] Where can I find Petals Hello World docs ?

vzurczak vincent.zurczak at petalslink.com
Wed Mar 16 10:59:59 CET 2011

Hi,

laurent wrote:
> If I understand well : it can be 2 java beans which can communicate through Petals Esb via Web services ?

No.
If the Java beans (exposed as services) run into Petals (e.g. on the POJO component), and that you have a BPEL to orchestrate them, then it is the transport layer of the bus that handles the communication. It is not web service. But if you expose these beans as web services (i.e. the beans are deployed on the POJO component, and then reexposed as Web Services through the SOAP component), then you could imagine having an external BPEL process that orchestrate them.

In my example, the POJO component is in charge of hosting and running the Java beans. It exposes them as services in Petals. Services, not Web Services.
And the SOAP component is in charge of reexposing these Petals services (which are inside the bus) as web services (outside the bus).
If you wanted to reexpose these services for another protocol, you would use another Petals component than the SOAP.

laurent wrote:
> So I can write 2 java app in Petals Studio and then generate BPEL code and then make them communicate through Petals ESB ?

Yes, you may create two POJO, define a WSDL for each of them, and then create a BPEL process that orchestrates them.

laurent wrote:
> What would be the shortest way to show the functioning of Petal ESB ?

I have a little experience of Petals now, so it's quite difficult to tell you what's the most simple.
I have many ideas that seem equivalent  to me. Here are few ones.

1. Create two Web Services using JAX-WS. Deploy them on Tomcat, import them in Petals, and create the BPEL orchestration...
2. Create two "Java beans" based on POJO or Jsr-181 ("a POJO built with JAX-WS"), and create the BPEL orchestration...
3. Same than before, except your Java bean is an SCA application with Java implementations, only services and no reference.
4. If you have existing EJBs, import these EJBs into Petals (i.e. make them visible inside Petals as services) using the EJB component. And then, create your BPEL...
5. ...
6. Mix the previous solutions.

The most simple one IMO is the first one.
Create web services and make them run in a server like Tomcat.  [Wink]

I think these few ideas give you an overview of what Petals is able to do, and what it can be used for.
Roughly, Petals can be used in various ways, from a pure integration approach to a complete SOA approach, going through all the possible nuances.

http://forum.petalslink.com/viewtopic.php?p=31126#31126